Friday, January 20, 2012

On Going Back to Basics

With this last post, my tour of Spidey's "Brand New Day" saga -- from "One More Day" to "Big Time" -- ends.  This project was actually one of the driving forces behind me starting the blog.  I read most of the issues and wrote most of the posts over a three- or four-month period last year, so it's kind of crazy to me to see it all coming to an end.  At the same time, my other major back-issue review project -- "Nova" and the various Marvel Cosmic cross-over events -- is also ending as I wrap up "The Thanos Imperative."  What's a blogger to do?

I decided to go back to basics.  I bought "Marvel Masterworks Presents:  The Amazing Spider-Man" volumes 1-5 a few months ago, but haven't really had a chance to make my way through them.  I decided what better time than the present.  It's probably going to be a bit more sporadic than my last effort, where I built up a few dozen posts and scheduled posting them in an orderly fashion.  But, I'm excited to be making my way through the ur-texts of Spider-Man.

A few logistical notes before we begin:  I'm not going to be rating the issues or doing "Good" and "Bad" sections, because it feels more than slightly sacrilegious to do so.  I've made my way through the first few issues, and, looking at my reviews, I'm probably going to wind up focusing mostly on plots and sub-plots that I didn't realize existed, like the first few issues' focus on whether or not Spidey was going to fall into a life of crime.  I hope you'll enjoy reading them as much as I'm enjoying writing them!

1 comment:

  1. "I'm not going to be rating the issues or doing "Good" and "Bad" sections, because it feels more than slightly sacrilegious to do so." That line made me laugh because I have the same problem! For the life of me I can NEVER score something written by Stan Lee under a 7.

    Good luck reviewing those older Spidey books, JW. I've always had a tough time properly reviewing older(60's and 70's) books because there's usually SO many things going on.

    ReplyDelete