Sunday, October 28, 2012

Secret Avengers #33 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

OK, I haven't been all that impressed with the Descendants, but, damn, Remender sells it here.

First, Black Ant is possibly a better character that Eric O'Grady was.  I mean, don't get me wrong:  I liked Eric, particularly because he was a reminder of the days when the Avengers took in people with questionable records, like Hawkeye, and gave them a chance to redeem themselves.  As we've now learned, O'Grady did just that, sacrificing his life to save a child.  But, the new Eric, he remembers dying and regretting it.  He realized how important life was so, when the Father resurrected him and ordered him to follow him, he was only happy to oblige.  Talk about a believable motivation.  Remender really nails it with this twist, explaining how a guy who died trying to become a hero could turn so quickly into a remorseless villain.  It really does take someone like Remender to make a guy named "Black Ant" into a serious bad-ass.

Overall, one of my problems with the previous Descendants storyline is that it didn't really seem to have a point.  Blah blah blah, world domination, blah blah blah.  The Father's crusade against humanity just seemed too cartoonish, too done.  But, here, Remender thickens the plot (or, probably more accurately, distracts us from it), with the Father expressing particular interest in Hank, as one of the fathers of cybernetic life.  I mean, I'm still not buying their overall campaign as anything that I should even be remotely worried that they'll accomplish, but I'm definitely intrigued by what the Father wants with Hank.

Finally, Captain Britain actually adds something here, since I can't wait to see him and Hawkeye going against the undead Avengers to get the Orb of Necromancy.  He's been such a drag for most of this series that it's nice to see him actually provoke a sub-plot that adds some drama and excitement to the book.

Needless to say, I can't wait for next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment