Saturday, October 20, 2012

Venom #24 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

At the end of the day, Bunn loses me here for two reasons.

First, I don't believe that Flash can't contact the Avengers.  OK, sure, he couldn't contact them last issue because his cell signal was blocked when he entered Hellstrom's building.  I still thought it was a ridiculous excuse then, but, whatever, fine.  But, he's free now.  If he could claw himself to that reporter's apartment, he really couldn't get himself to Stark Tower?  Bunn is running into the problem that comes with having an independent hero join a superhero team, particularly one who allegedly exists outside the bounds of normal society.  Slott has always seemed to have a good sense of knowing when it would be reasonable for Spidey to call in the Avengers and when it wouldn't.  But, I feel like Remender and Bunn have had to go to increasingly desperate lengths to justify why Venom wasn't picking up the phone and asking for help.  They seem to default to Flash not wanting to admit a mistake, something I thought that we had moved past at the end of the Savage Six arc, but still seems to be haunting us.  The problem with it is that it makes Flash look like an idiot.  I'm all for a flawed hero, but, at some point, if Flash doesn't want the Avengers' help, you begin asking why he's on the Avengers in the first place.

Second, Bunn seems to want us to believe that Flash's soul is so dark that he's capable of trapping a demon and not vice versa.  Honestly, I just don't know where to start.  Suffering years of abuse at the hands of your father and turning to alcohol to help soothe that problem doesn't make you evil.  It's almost like I'm supposed to believe that Flash isn't the guy who lost his legs saving a fellow soldier or made peace with Peter Parker.  Bunn seems to be making the point that Flash is bad at his core and I'm just not OK with that.

As I'm pretty sure I've said before, less demons, more espionage.

No comments:

Post a Comment