Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Captain Marvel #2 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

DeConnick delivers another fun issue full of wit and action that also reminds us how groundbreaking this series is.

The whole premise of this issue goes to the "fly higher and faster" ethos that I mentioned in my last review, since Carol literally tries to fly higher than her idol, Helen Cobb.  I thought that DeConnick went to a really interesting place having Carol not just try to match Cobb's record, but beat it, since, again, it reminds us that Carol and DeConnick are trying to break barriers here.

But, the plot thickens when Carol suddenly finds herself in Japan during the Second World War.  I loved the all-female squad of commandos.  I mean, sure, at some point, DeConnick is going to have to stop going to this well, but, right now, it's a well whose depths still have to be plumbed.  But, the time-travel aspect of the story is handled quite well.  I loved Carol echoing Spider-Woman's comment that they really need an Avengers handbook as she struggles to remember what the Avengers time-travel protocols are.  ("Don't step on butterflies...?  Something about butterflies.")  I equally loved her then deciding to break said protocols when she attacks the "prowler" that shot Rivka, one of the members of the squad.  But, given the fact that I'm pretty sure that the Japanese didn't have flying spaceships during the Second World War, I'm guessing Carol might be in a different timeline than ours, making her concern about the time-travel protocols overcome by events.  We shall see.


With this issue, DeConnick just really throws us into Carol's world, providing some strong character work ("I don't have patience for this existential crap.") and making me excited to see where or when she actually is.  I can't really ask for more than that in a comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment