Saturday, November 10, 2012

New Avengers #32 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Whereas Bendis has managed to make me hate him a little less on "Avengers," he manages to make me hate him a lot more on this title.  Just like last issue, this issue seems to epitomize the odd plot devices and weird surprise twists that have characterized Bendis' run on this title.

First, he inexplicably returns to his worst shitck, the New Avengers' bad publicity.  This theme has dominated much of his run, serving as the driving force behind the disastrous "H.A.M.M.E.R. War" arc.  The problem now, as then, is that it sill doesn't make a lot of sense.  Bendis never explains why the public would reflexively believe the Avengers capable of the bad things that the media want it to believe that they are doing, particularly given their heroic efforts in the recent events depicted in "Fear Itself" and "Avengers vs. X-Men."  Bendis could be making the argument that the general public is just sick of superheroes, but it still wouldn't explain why the F.B.I. or NYPD would openly defy Maria Hill and demand to enter Avengers Mansion.  It's not a moot point, since the whole plot turns on it; after all, it's the F.B.I. agent demanding entry that allows Brother Voodoo to possess him and get him to shoot himself.  Suddenly, we're supposed to believe that the F.B.I. and NYPD, after defying Maria Hill, would also now view the New Avengers as somehow behind this event, despite the evidence to the contrary.  I mean, they were all standing on the lawn.  Did everyone not see him shoot himself?  He was standing right there.  It seems pretty difficult to believe that someone who saw that wouldn't suggest that the assembled law-enforcement officials take a minute to get to the bottom of the issue instead of immediately trying to arrest the New Avengers.  But, I've learned not to expect this sort of logic from a Bendis comic.

But, Benis also continues his tour of bad ideas by making this issue all about Dr. Strange and Victoria Hand.  Seriously, if he wanted to write "Dr. Strange," he should've just asked Marvel if he could FUCKING WRITE "DR. STRANGE."  Instead, I'm yet again reading about Brother Voodoo, Damion Hellstrom, and the magic gang, despite the fact that I care nothing about them and that they really shouldn't be burning up as many pages of an "Avengers" comic as they have been.  Moving to Victoria, I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to think.  We're clearly supposed to believe that Jessica dies in issue #33, since she appears bleeding on the cover and issue #34 is billed as containing the "end of an Avenger."  I'm doubtful that Bendis would kill a mainstream character, so I'm guessing that it's the end of Hand.  I still don't care.  Get that, Bendis?  Despite all your efforts to the contrary, I still don't care about Victoria Hand and her death or non-death won't mean anything to the Marvel Universe.  Harsh, but very true.

The problem with Bendis using these poorly implemented devices is that they overshadow the good moments in this issue.  Bendis does a great job showing the team reeling from the quick succession of events, and I found myself thinking of the amazing work that he did on "Avengers Disassembled" in "Avengers" #500-#503.  The last few pages are remarkably tense, as Dr. Strange begins to realize Brother Voodoo's plan and the New Avengers circle the wagons to try to sneak out Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.  It's a touching tribute to them, with the whole team rallying to try to give them their dream of getting to live a quiet life.  But, again, it's completely overshadowed by the Bendis plot devices.

[Sigh.]  I think that I only have two issues left of him on this title and, man, it's going to be a long two issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment