Sunday, January 27, 2013

Iron Man #3 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

When I picked up my stack of comics at the comic-book shop, they accidentally hadn't included issue #4.  I was planning on grabbing it when I was in there this coming Wednesday, but I'm thinking that I might just consider it a sign.

I'm just not really sure I know where Gillen is going with Tony.  Not knowing a lot about Tony beyond his Avengers appearance, he seems a lot more angst-ridden here than he usually does.  Maybe it's because I'm not a long-time reader, but, for example, his remorse over building weapons in his 20s seems an odd thing for him to mention repeatedly in this issue.  Does he usually mention it as often?  I'm not sure if Gillen is trying to inform new readers of part of Tony's history or if he's decided to make Tony feel more guilty about it than he usually does, but, either way, it didn't really work for me.  It just felt like something with which Tony Stark has probably made his peace at this point in his life.  I'm not saying that he doesn't think about it from time to time, but it seems doubtful to me that it's as present on his mind as it is here.  Moreover, speaking of his mental space, it also seems weird to me that he keeps blaming the users of Extremis for Maya's death.  After all, I'm pretty sure none of them were directly involved.  (Come to think of it, I'm not sure if we've been told who's directly involved.)  I mean, I get that Tony's not going to be super thrilled to be helping a Colombia narco-trafficker, but he seems angry at him in part for Maya's death, despite the fact that he wasn't involved.

I'm also increasingly thinking that Piper's right about the new armor.  Tony's been around the block a few times.  Was he really so arrogant that he thought that he would be able to waltz onto the compound so unnoticed that he wouldn't need armor, repulsors, or shields?  Really?  I get where Gillen is going with the idea of sacrificing convenience for power, but it seems like a shtick that's going to get old quickly, when Tony always conveniently doesn't have the one power that he should have to fight the surprise villain.

So, I think I'm going to stop here.  At $3.99 a month, my budget could use the savings for "Young Avengers," which I'm much more excited to get.  But, of course, it's not like I'm not going to see Tony three or four times a month in the various Avengers titles, so I feel like we'll be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment