Sunday, February 24, 2013

Superior Spider-Man #2 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Halfway through this issue, I found myself pretty bored.  I actually put down the book and fixed myself a snack (as opposed to my experience with "Young Avengers" #1, which I read standing up because I happened to flip to the first page and get immediately absorbed into the story).  I mean, I should be on the edge of my seat.  Doc Ock, in Peter's body?  Trying to date MJ?  Inventing new Spider-Tech?  Making friendly with JJJ, Jr.?  It should be exciting.  I shouldn't be bored!

But, then, I realized my problem.  I'm bored in part because we're been down this road before.  I mentioned last issue that I'm not really feeling Otto's inventions the way that I should, since Slott himself made Peter much better at using technology to augment his Spider-Powers.  I mean, don't get me wrong, the Spider-Bots are pretty cool.  But, as I said last issue, it seems like the type of thing that Peter himself might have invented one day, if given the chance.

But, my problem is more than just the somewhat "been there, done that" nature of the Spider-Tech.  I also realized that this story doesn't much feel all that different from the time that the Chameleon pretended to be Peter Parker in "Amazing Spider-Man" #602-#604.  Several people have mentioned that arc in relation to the current series in no small part because the implications of Otto sleeping with MJ are similar to the situation in that arc where the Chameleon slept with Peter's roommate, Michele.  (Marvel quickly claimed after the fact that they didn't have sex but just made out, but, if you read that issue, it's pretty clear that they did more than "make out.")  The more I read this title, the more I just feel like I'm re-reading that arc.  I mean, sure, we've got a Ghost Peter here to make matters more awkward.  But, at the end of the day, both this story and the Chameleon one are based around making the reader uncomfortable; we're really just talking about shades of that discomfort at this point.


So, I realized that we've essentially got a hype problem here.  If this arc were just another arc in "Amazing Spider-Man," it would've felt a little derivative, but it might've at least given us some amusing situations.  We would've all had a good chuckle at Otto using super-villain terms in everyday life and Peter saying "Crazy Town Banana Pants" nine million times, but it would've ended before it all got annoying.  But, instead, we're supposed to labor under the presumption that this change is permanent (or, at least, going to be with us for a while).  I mean, we've canceled "Amazing Spider-Man" and re-launched it as "Superior Spider-Man."  Marvel wants us to know that it's a BIG DEAL.

But, it's not a big deal.  We've seen it all previously, if not exactly in the same configuration.  The more I read, the more I just wonder how Slott is going to manage to keep this situation interesting.  I mean, how is he going to keep Peter from distracting from the Otto story that he's trying to tell?  I actually found myself annoyed with Peter for most of this issue and that comment right there shows you how wrong this whole situation is.  How is he going to keep MJ in play, if Otto decided here (somewhat abruptly) that they shouldn't date?  How is he going to make Aunt May not realize that she's not dealing with Peter?  I just don't think that Slott is going to be able to maintain this shtick for too long.  It just seems that the longer he does, the more ridiculous it'll get.  I'll just not be bored; I'll be incredulous.  The good news is that Carlie, the "Get Out of Jail Free" card, seems to be in play.  That, of course, raises the question:  if I'm annoyed now, how annoyed will I be if this whole premise doesn't even last six issues?

But, this issue is all the more disappointing because a lot of stuff here doesn't work, in the sense that it feels forced.  I mean, yes, I actually thought Peter realizing that he'd prefer Otto to touch his body rather than MJ's made me LOL.  But, I'm surprised that Slott wants us to believe that Carlie and MJ are BFFs.  Really?  MJ, a former supermodel and present club owner, doesn't have any other friends?  Plus, she's such good friends with Carlie that Carlie's staying with her as she recuperates from getting shot, despite the fact that MJ is in the process of possibly rekindling her relationship with Peter?  It just seems pretty incredible, laying bare the fact that it's happening solely for Carlie to interact enough with MJ and Peter to get suspicious about Peter.  Moreover, Otto's decision about MJ was totally bizarre.  He saves her life and in the process realizes that he loves her, thereby deciding that he can't be with her.  Really?  I mean, he's not even going to try to sleep with her?  I know that Slott is specifically avoiding that scenario given the advance outrage that the Internet has displayed over just that possibility, but, in the context of the story, it makes little sense, given that Otto has been lusting after MJ since this whole sorry affair started.

Ugh.  I'm stunned to say what I'm going to say, but I think the problem here isn't really the overall concept but Slott's writing.  I just don't think that he's selling it the way that he sold "Big Time!"  I mean, I'm willing to give him time, but this series is a big disappointment so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment