Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Superior Spider-Man #3 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I think I'm at the point where I'm just going to admit that I'm done trying to like this series and just gritting my teeth and baring it until Peter returns.  I also want to make it clear that I don't feel that way simply due to the "switch."  I feel that way because Slott is not addressing the obvious inconsistencies that come with the switch and it's weighing down the entire book.

First, I have absolutely no idea why JJJ, Jr. suddenly likes Spidey.  Slott seems to be implying that his sudden approval is tied to Spider-Man punching off the Scorpion's jaw in "Amazing Spider-Man" #700.  However, the problem is that JJJ, Jr. has always disapproved of Spidey because he took the law into his own hands; JJJ, Jr. believed that Spidey wearing a mask meant that he was putting himself above the law.  As such, it makes absolutely no sense that Spidey disfiguring the Scorpion is the reason why JJJ, Jr. now likes him.  It's like saying that he disapproved of Spidey all the these years because his body count wasn't higher.  But, to make matters worse, Slott doesn't just engage in a gross mischaracterization of JJJ, Jr.  He uses this mischaracterization as a way to get Spidey and Carlie to work together, giving her the chance to spend enough time with him to realize that he's not really Peter.  It's totally forced and, given how important Carlie realizing that Peter isn't Peter is to the plot of this series, I'm stunned that Slott would bring us to that point through such lazy characterization.

Speaking of Otto, I'm still having trouble figuring out how we're supposed to view him.  Here, given his own abusive childhood, Otto is outraged that the Vulture manipulates him into striking a child.  But, just a few issues ago, in "Amazing Spider-Man" #687, Otto was trying to eliminate almost all the world's population; presumably, some children would have died if he had been successful.  As such, I'm only left to assume that Slott wants us to believe that it's Peter influence that changes Otto's mind.  However, the problem is that he specifically shows that it's NOT Peter's influence that drives his outrage; it's Otto's memory of his father striking him.  To ask the obvious question, why didn't he remember that moment when he was ready to murder almost all the children of the world?

I could continue, but I won't.  As I said in my last review, this worst part of this whole experience isn't actually that Otto is now Peter, but that Slott somehow doesn't have the chops to sell the story that he's trying to tell.  It's disappointing and disheartening, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment