Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Wolverine and the X-Men #23 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Fine, I enjoyed this issue.  Aaron actually does something with a member of the Hellfire Club here, giving us some insight into the demons that drive Maximilian, the newly christened Dr. Frankenstein.  He also continues Idie's descent into darkness, showing her willingly trying to kill Calcabrina.  (When Quentin Quire is worried about you, you know it's bad.)  But, it's really Bradshaw who steals the show in showing the ridiculousness of the X-Men fighting a circus of zombie clowns.  From Goop's brass knuckles to Kitty taking down a clown with the Strong Man's hammer, he plays up the laughs inherent in this story to great effect.

I will say that I wonder how much longer I'm going to get this title now that Bendis is consistently showing us the same team in action on "All-New X-Men."  The only real difference between these two books is that this one in theory focuses on the students as well.  However, although Aaron did some interesting stuff with the students in the first few issues, I feel like they've been mostly afterthoughts for the last few issues.  I mean, sure, we learned that Eye-Boy can see magic in this arc, but I can't really say that we're getting the sort of focus on them that we did in "New Mutants" or "New X-Men."  Given their absence and the fact that I really, really hate the Kiddie Hellfire Club, I may be calling it a day on this title soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment