Sunday, March 10, 2013

All-New X-Men #8 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Whoa.

I thought I was going to wind up talking about how much fun this issue was.  I loved how Bendis has the Angels go for a joyride and then uses that joyride not only to bring the Avengers into the loop on the presence of the original X-Men in the present but also to make original Warren realize that something goes terribly wrong in his life.  I thought that Bobby and Kitty mimicking the conversation that Beast and Cap was having was one of the most innovative narrative techniques that I've seen in a long time and that it also showed how nicely their relationship is developing.  Even though I thought that young Scott was MIA, I also loved him ending the argument between Beast and a shocked Cap, even though I'm not entire sure why him approaching Cap resolved it.

But, it seems ridiculous to talk about those things after the last two pages, where Jean Grey goes totally and completely bad-ass.  Seriously.  I had no idea where Bendis was going with Warren's blank stare, but the revelation that it was Jean controlling his mind absolutely floored me.


Not your father's X-Men, indeed.  This series effing rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment