Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Superior Spider-Man #7 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I didn't hate this issue!

I mean, it wasn't my favorite issue of all time or anything, but Slott seemed a lot more focused during it.  We weren't juggling every sub-plot at the same time, bouncing from Horizon to MJ's to NYU to the streets.  By focusing on Spidey and his fight with Cardiac, I feel like Slott was able to tell a more coherent story than he's told so far on this title.

But, most importantly, I think that it's because the Ghost Peter sub-plot actually started going somewhere.  I mean, I'm not expecting that the Avengers or Peter are going to be able to resolve the issue any time soon.  But, for the last few issues, Peter's simply served as annoying narrator, adding little to the story (and, in fact, generally detracting from it).  Here, at least we started getting some dramatic tension in terms of Otto and Peter fighting over Peter's body now that Peter can exhibit some control over it.  It ups the stakes sufficiently to make it less of a odd curiosity and more of an actual plot.

It still all begs the question where we're going with it.  I know some people hypothesized that Slott is using Peter as a transition device for people to adjust to Otto.  So, rather than Peter winning back control of his body, Otto will find a way to eliminate Peter's consciousness entirely.  Slott doesn't rule out that possibility here, since Otto seems aware that Peter might be controlling his movements and seems to want to find a way to stop it.  Only time will tell, I guess.  But, at least I wasn't filled with rage this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment