Sunday, April 7, 2013

Young Avengers #3 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.

I just don't know where to start.  What did I love more?  The underage drinking while discussing how to save reality?  Teddy putting his arm around Billy at the club while Billy texts Kate, "We're in deep trouble.  Also, hugs."?  America, Billy, and Teddy's amazing death glares at Loki after America reveals that he tried to hire her to kill Billy?  Who am I kidding?  I loved it all.

First, the premise behind this first arc is brilliant.  To quote Will Smith, parents just don't understand.  I mean, what a better start to this series than that, a reminder that we're dealing with teenagers whose parents really don't understand.  They're trying to save the world, but they've also got homework.  Gillen really recalls some of the best early issues of "Amazing Spider-Man" here and I can't think of a higher compliment than that.

I also thought that Gillen really put in the work to explain the events happening here in as logical of a way as possible.  I liked the explanation for why all the parents are acting insanely, since i it seems believable that Loki's attempt to negate Billy's misfired "dead parent" spell instead wound up altering it and expanding it to all their dead parents.  Plus, I bought the explanation why they're having problems undoing it, since it also makes sense that Billy's power is still tied to the spell and Loki is too weak in his child form.  (The conversation where Loki tries to get Billy to loan him his power for ten minutes was hilarious.)  Finally, Gillen also wisely reminds us that the real motivation here is Teddy's mom trying to feast off Billy and Teddy's souls:  the involvement of the other parents is all just an unforeseen complication for the guys (and boon for her).  It is as tightly written plot as you're going to find.

But, despite this amazing plot, the best part about the book is the relationships.  I love the guys' initial reaction to America and I feel like Gillen is laying the seeds of a great friendship that could develop between her and Teddy (who could really use a friend).  I also love that Gillen gives a nod to who Billy was in the beginning, a Norse mythology geek.  It really shows that he's done his homework and explains why these characters feel the way that they always have.  But, he really manages to flesh out their characters even more, showing them as real people even more than Heinberg did.  I loved Billy telling Teddy that Kate keeps texting about Skrulls and cute boys and Teddy replying, "Two of my favorite topics."  In fact, of every series that I currently read, I'm hard pressed to think of one where the characters' voices are just so strong.  I could hear Loki say, "Now cease your texting!"  McKelvie is part of the reason why this effort to portray the kids as real people is so successful.  In just one small example, I adored Teddy making air quotes when telling America that they know that they can't trust Loki since, after all, "Loki."  I'm not sure most author/artist duos would've included that moment, but it's such a great one, summing up all the irreverence and snark that this title promises.

Moreover, Gillen sets the stage for future plots, such as Loki teaching Billy how to use his magic more efficiently and the guys (and us) discovering why America is doing what she's doing (particularly after she pointedly ignored Teddy's question to that effect).

"Young Avengers" always runs the possibility of getting dragged into maudlinness given the various tragedies that the team has shared, but Gillen makes you wonder if anyone has really ever had this much fun saving the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment