Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cable and X-Force #8 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I wasn't in town for three Wednesday, so I wound up getting a whole stack of comics at once last week.  I didn't really have time to go through them at the store, so I inadvertently picked up some titles that I had intended to cancel:  "Cable and X-Force," "Justice League of America," "Wolverine and the X-Men," etc.  In the case of this title, at least, I'm glad to have had one more issue.

Hopeless wraps up this arc, about X-Force freeing an alien from the Raft to prevent the armada coming after him from destroying Earth in the process, better than I expected.  He shows Colossus coming to the realization that X-Force is doing serious enough work that he doesn't exactly have the luxury of abiding by the law, as he was trying to do when he declined Domino's offer to spring him from the Raft.  It's an organic moment, with Pete deciding not to wallow in shame for his behavior as one of the Phoenix Five and instead start trying to redeem himself.  Hopeless also continues to do great stuff with Domino, showing her wiliness in dealing with the alien to keep the team alive and her independence in telling Peter not to view her as his damsel in distress.  These two characters -- and their burgeoning relationship -- continue being the heart of this book

Unfortunately, the rest of the characters, Cable included, serve mostly as chess pieces to be moved across the board to advance whatever story Hopeless is telling.  I have faith in Hopeless that he'll eventually start developing them, but, given my need to shed some books, I'm just not all that interested in the journey.  But, I'm glad that I at least got to see Colossus standing on his own two feet before my time with this motley crew came to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment