Saturday, June 8, 2013

Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual #1 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

First, the good:  I like the idea of Roy getting his start as a superhero by building weapons for Green Arrow.  I don't know much about Roy in the DCU, but I do know that he's one of the better (or worst) examples of how editorial changes made his character's history and personality muddled.  Here, Tynion actually uses the DCnU the way that it was supposed to be, giving us a more streamlined version of his history that actually makes him a better and more interesting character.  I'm still not sure how Green Arrow knew how smart Roy was (and thus deciding to bail him from jail and get him to work for him), but it's a detail that I can wait until later to learn.  Right now, it's just nice to have a clear picture of Roy and his motivations, something that I'm not sure that we ever had in the DCU.

Now, the not-so-good:  I'm kind of already over this amnesia story.  Sure, I just said in my review of issue #20 that I felt like Tynion sold it better than he did in the previous issue, but I just don't think this story really has legs.  We all know that Jason is going to eventually remember who he is, which means that we're going to have to suffer through him "finding his destiny" on his own and Roy and Kori trailing him while he does so.  It feels repetitive, since we already essentially just had that exact story in "Death of the Family" and its aftermath.  I'm not saying that this part of the issue wasn't well written, because it was:  Jason responds to the discovery that Roy and Kori haven't been honest with him about his past about how you'd expect him to respond.  However, I'm just not sure that it's interesting enough (since, again, we just went through it) to be the main focus of this series.  Hopefully it won't run too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment