Sunday, June 23, 2013

Superior Spider-Man #11 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

If you can get past the fact that the Spider-Slayer is remotely able to use his slayer-bots to almost instantly create exactly the right cybernetic implants to get Boomerang, the Scorpion, and the Vulture into fighting shape, then you're going to enjoy this issue.  If you can't (and I think that's a totally acceptable response), you might have some troubles.

For me, the most interesting part of this issue was the fact that Otto seems to be fraying at the edges a bit.  He's finding it hard to juggle romance, school, and work as Peter while at the same time excelling as Spider-Man.  Sure, he manages to anticipate almost everything that Alistair Smythe throws at him in this issue, but the Peter side of the equation suffers as he angers Dr. Lamaze by leaving class early and blows off Max Modell while removing Horizon Labs equipment that he needs to contain Smythe.  Plus, he doesn't anticipate everything:  it seems unlikely that he'll be able to take on Boomerang, the Scorpion, and the Vulture next issue and still be able to make sure that Smythe gets executed.  You've got to wonder how Otto is going to handle that failure (assuming that it happens), particularly when he's still going to be forced to apologize to Dr. Lamaze and Max for his rudeness in spite of his failure.

I will say, at this point, that I am enjoying this series much more than I originally did.  But, as I imply in the first paragraph, I still feel like Slott is taking a lot of licenses here.  I still don't buy JJJ, Jr. suddenly embracing Spidey as the guarantor of New York's security and I think he's overselling how technologically advanced Otto is compared to Peter.  But, so long as Slott continues to pay attention to Otto's struggle to be as "superior" as he thinks that he can be, I'll keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment