Sunday, June 9, 2013

Young Avengers #5 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

OK, this issue is just as good as a good issue in a regular series, which, given how amazing this series has been, means that it feels something like a disappointment, if I'm being honest.

First, Gillen reveals that Kid Loki is actually Adult Loki, who destroyed Kid Loki's soul and took up residence in his body.  I'm not sure if we saw this story told elsewhere (like "Journey into Mystery") and Gillen is just recapping, but it definitely adds a layer of lurking intrigue to the story.  Moreover, unlike Peter Parker's annoying presence as a ghost in "Superior Spider-Man," Kid Loki's ghost serves a helpful role here, prodding Adult Loki into good behavior.  Adult Loki also confirms that Kid Loki's body somehow also "confounds" his nature, making him seemingly more susceptible to good impulses (and Kid Loki's prodding)  than he would normally be.  I think we're probably going to need more of an explanation than that, but, for the moment, I'm willing to accept that Adult Loki can't be as mischievously evil as he would normally be and happy to enjoy the idea of watching Adult Loki forced to act as a good guy.

However, this reveal isn't the issue's biggest.  Instead, we learn that Kid Loki's diminished powers means that Adult Loki can't completely banish Mother.  As a result, the kids have to avoid places where their parents are (or were) in order not to...well, I'm not entirely sure.  Kid Loki explains that Mother "subverts parents to her side," so I'm not entirely sure why she wouldn't do so with or without the Young Avengers near.  Like, if Billy flees to Los Angeles, why wouldn't she just re-appear, take control of his parents again, and then go after him?  I'm not sure how his presence (or the other Young Avengers') is necessary for her to re-appear.  I wish Gillen had done a better job of explaining that part, since, without it, it just feels like an overly convenient plot device.

So, it was a regular issue.  But, it doesn't detract from a pretty damn spectacular opening arc or how excited I am to see where we go from here.

7 comments:

  1. Yep, totally agreed with everything here.

    The Loki thing was indeed touched upon in Journey. Gillen's run on that series concluded with Loki replacing Kid Loki... Kind of... I think... It was really confusing, but this issue pretty much confirmed what I suspected happened in Journey.

    As for the whole, "We can't go near our parents!!!" thing, I also didn't fully get that. I think I'm going to chalk it up to Loki scheming and planning, and not wanting the gang to be near there folks. For some reason... Hey, it's Loki, who knows when he's telling the truth, and when he's not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I re-read that part to make sure I just hadn't missed something. But, I like your excuse that it's Loki, so he's obviously just manipulating them and they're too distracted to think too hard about it. Now, onto Speed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, X, did Loki give back Billy's powers? Or, are his powers and Loki's still attached to the spell? I re-read the issue and I'm still not clear on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I wasn't sure if my comment went through after I typed it up, JW. Also, I echo what Alien said about the JiM run. I was never a really big Thor guy growing up, but Gillen did a great job with those characters, and especially with Kid Loki. I'm guessing Loki did give Billy his powers back... Probably? I guess? If he wants to remain on/around the team, I can't imagine he'd cross Billy by swiping his powers. But I guess we'll see. I forgot the next issue is about Speed and Prodigy! I am SO amped for that one!!

      Delete
  4. you have to read Gillen's Run in Journey Into Mystery totally worth the time He took Kid Loki to a hell of a ride and I loved everything. I even liked more the Fear Itself history trough Loki actions than the main event (He was the real hero of that event)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always regretted that I didn't get Gillen's run on "Journey into Mystery," Alien, so I may have to get it now. I'm really enjoying Kid Loki.

    ReplyDelete