Sunday, September 22, 2013

Guardians of the Galaxy #5 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

So, one of the reasons that I felt like the "Age of Ultron" was a colossal waste of time was the fact that the only thing that seemed to come of it was the arrival of this Angela character to the Marvel Universe, which meant nothing to me.  However, I'm glad to see that I may have been wrong.

The revelation that "Infinity" has, at least in part, to do with the fact that Thanos feels that Earth must be punished for breaking reality totally works for me.  Bendis does a great job bringing us on Peter's journey to the truth.  It makes sense that he'd seek out Mantis, but it makes even more sense that he'd inevitably find himself facing down Thanos.  That said, Bendis still makes it a surprise when the moment comes on the last page, even though it's pretty clear that it can't be anyone else.  (Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't note the image of Rich Ryder in Peter's thoughts.  Given that Pete and Thanos are in the here and now, I'm really just sitting on my hands at this point waiting for Rich's return.)

Bendis also remembers that it's still a team book.  The scenes with Gamora, Rocket, and Tony are great, not only for the comic relief but also in giving us the first sign of Angela in action.  All in all, it's a particularly strong issue and gives you the sense that Bendis is only really getting to the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment