Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Secret Avengers #6 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

First things first:  I hadn’t realized that the Iron Patriots were still out there and I’m a little unclear if they’re still acting on the orders of A.I.M. or if they’ve gone totally rogue.  Spencer probably should’ve clarified that, since, if A.I.M. is still in control, it makes it a little easier to justify the number of fronts that S.H.I.E.L.D. has open in its war on the group, given the threat that it clearly poses.  Either way, though, bringing in Rhodey to become the general of an army of Iron Patriots is a pretty clever (and totally awesome) move.

Beyond the fact that S.H.I.E.L.D. currently has two teams active on A.I.M. Island (Mockingbird and Taskmaster, to hack the communications system so Rhodey could do his thing, and Black Widow, Hawkeye, and “Nick Fury,” to assassinate Dr. Forson), Spencer implies that this war extends to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.  Daisy Johnson may not have ordered the hit on Dr. Forson, though it’s unclear to me who would want to manipulate events to implicate – and thus remove – Daisy.  After all, I’m not sure who could possibly think that Maria Hill would be more beneficial to them.  Maybe it’s Dr. Forson himself, playing a long game?

At any rate, Spencer manages to do a pretty good job of keeping the plot coherent, though small details like who’s controlling the Iron Patriots in the first place do occasionally get dropped.  However, he’s really excelling at keeping up the spy-thriller pace and I’m more than willing to let such minor plot details remain unclarified to continue getting these types of stories, where you don’t know what’s going to happen from page to page or issue to issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment