Thursday, October 31, 2013

Secret Avengers #9 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

As if the last page wasn't enough, the rest of this issue also rocked.  Spencer dispenses with any pretense that Maria Hill is the "good guy" and Daisy Johnson is the "bad guy" here.  If Daisy exercised questionable judgment in ordering the assassination of Dr. Forson, it was at least because she saw A.I.M. as a threat to global security (and maybe wanted some revenge for Reb).  Maria engages in equally questionable judgment, but for a lot less lofty of a reason.  As Nick Fury (the real one) himself implies, Maria is all about Maria and she's not going to let Daisy ruin her ascension to the Directorship by remembering all those secrets that Maria was uncomfortable with her having in the first place.  Assassinating a crazed dictator running a terrorist organization is one thing; wiping the memory of the former Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. to give yourself job security is another.  Sure, Maria is probably convinced that she's acting to protect global security, but it's not an argument that anyone other than her (even if her) would believe.  As I mentioned last issue, I was never a fan of Daisy becoming Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I did find her hit on Dr. Forson to be arrogant and naive.  But, Maria takes it so far here that you also have to wonder how suitable she is at this point to be running S.H.I.E.L.D.  Enter Bucky and, maybe, the possibility of all this mind technology being used for Natasha to remember who she was.  Color me effing excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment