Monday, November 18, 2013

Scarlet Spider #23 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Ugh, I felt like I was going to hurl by the end of this issue.  After such an emotional roller-coaster, I'm not sure where we go from here.  Yost makes it pretty clear that Kaine will leave Houston, since he's unlikely to exit this fight with Kraven believing that he can keep his friends safe.  (That said, I was confused why Aracely wasn't able to help here.  She's at the very least a telepath.  She managed to use her powers to sneak Kaine and herself into the Jean Grey School, but she couldn't knock Ana unconscious before she attacked Donald?  I get that she's a little dazed, but, still...)  However, Yost also sets up another potential reason for Kaine leaving Houston that I don't like at all.  It seems like Wally could decide that he has to take in Kaine for his murderous past, something that could prompt Kaine to flee as a fugitive.  If so, I don't buy it at all.  No matter how upset Wally may be over Ana's attack on Donald, Kaine has always been open about his past, about who he was.  It would be a terrible way to close this series to see Kaine spurned by the people that he had come to call friends, something that he never thought that he'd have.  I would've been happier if he had just reverted to the monster that he had been, realizing that his path to redemption had too many hurdles to completed.  But, we'll see where Yost goes with it.  Fingers crossed that it's not where I'm worried that it's going.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment