Thursday, November 14, 2013

X-Men #6 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

It's about here where I get event fatigue, where I really just want to know the hows and the whys and be done with it.  This event isn't really any different, despite the fact that, overall, I'm enjoying it.

As expected, we learn that the original future X-Men aren't X-Men at all, though it's not entirely clear who they are and why they're doing what they're doing.  Logan's child with Mystique (um, yeah) apparently posed as future Kitty, but future Hank and future-original Jean appear to be themselves.  So, it's presumably not just some sort of Brotherhood plot to destroy the X-Men.  But, why they're doing what they're doing and how it's connected to future Dazzler's assassination remain unclear.  Moreover, it's unclear why they feel pressed to act.  Future Xavier decides to drop the charade from a sense of desperation to get at least three of the original X-Men to the past, but we're never really given a reason why it's so urgent that he would risk compromising the mission by revealing themselves.

Normally, I could handle my impatience if the story is good, as it has been.  But, Wood reminds me why I'm not a huge fan of this series.  Something about his writing just leaves me cold.  This issue becomes essentially an elaborate family reunion -- beyond Wolverine's daughter, Sentinel-X of the new future X-Men is revealed to be Shogo -- but Wood never really gives himself a chance to explore the emotions that should be at the center of those revelations.  They're just presented as marks to hit before we get to the end.  I find myself agreeing with him:  let's just rush to the end, shall we?

On a side note, we're told that Logan doesn't have his healing factor, but I'm not sure when that happened.  Is that something happening in his own series?  Couldn't we get some sort of old-fashioned "Editor's Note" if it did?  I mean, I get all four core X-books, but it's never been mentioned.  Given that I pretty much loathe Wolverine, if Marvel is telling me that reading all 30 of his series is essential to understanding the X-books, I might as well just good-bye right here.

** (two of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment