Sunday, December 15, 2013

Batman/Superman #5 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

This issue is totally a Monet:  The overall picture is clear, but it becomes almost incomprehensible when you take a closer look at it.

Mongul has apparently used an unidentified woman to create a video-game platform that converts the millions of video-game players online at any given time into an army.  His plan seems to be for them to think that they're playing a video game, but, in reality, help him defeat Earth's superheroes.  It's a remarkably clever idea (though vaguely "Ender's Game" feeling).

However, I had no idea what happened the first time that I read the issue.  I had to read it again to be able to piece together the plot.  Initially, I thought that Hiro knew that he was fighting Batman in the real world, not just the video game.  Pak doesn't make it clear how the game actually becomes reality, so, even when I had a better sense of the sequencing, I still wasn't clear on the details.  Some sort of pixie dust seems to be involved, but it can't just be the pixie dust, since Hiro fights as Metal-Zero in real life before it arrives.  (Maybe only Hiro was initially infected?)

Honestly, I've got serious doubts that Pak's going to be able to explain it more clearly in a way that makes sense.  All of a sudden, I'm wondering how long I'm going to be getting this series.

* (one of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment