Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Secret Avengers #13 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

OK, a lot happens in this issue and I honestly had a hard time seeing the forest through the trees for most of it.  But, in summarizing the main stories here, I feel like I've got a better handle on it:

- Taskmaster takes on an A.I.M. scientist as an apprentice.  During a training exercise where Taskmaster is supervising A.I.M. agents sparring with his robot, a group of A.I.M. agents attacks him, though I'm not sure if it's part of the exercise or if A.I.M. has discovered that he's a double agent.  When we next seem him, he's uncovering a hidden boat that he plans on using to smuggle Bobbi from A.I.M. Island.  However, he's stopped when he's attacked by his robot, who's under the control of his apprentice, who reveals that he's Anton Trask, presumably of the Sentinel Trasks (and presumably why he can control the robot).  Taskmaster awakens in front of Dr. Forson, who orders Bobbi to shoot him, which she prompty does, through the head.  (Bobbi was essentially catatonic for the entire issue.)

- M.O.D.O.K. makes it clear that he's turning traitor due to the influence of "religious fanatics" (a.k.a. the Entropy Cult) taking over the "unscientifically minded" within A.I.M., seemingly meaning Dr. Forson.  He provided Hill the location of data worth billions, which the Hulk and Iron Patriot investigate.  However, Dr. Forson activates a bomb at the location, destroying the base and telling Superia that they've discovered a traitor within their midst (presumably Taskmaster, unless someone else is double dealing).  Most interestingly, he says that "the plan" is working.

- Black Widow, Fury, and Hawkeye are hostages of A.I.M.  A group of A.I.M. agents are returning them to A.I.M. Island and, in the process, they seem to discover that Shang-Chi is likely a robot under control of Mentallo.

- After Dr. Forson blows up the base with the Hulk and Iron Patriot, Maria Hill thinks that M.O.D.O.K. planned that all along and demands something from him that she can use to her advantage (lest she shoot him).  M.O.D.O.K. suspects that Forson has a high-ranking double agent inside S.H.I.E.L.D. and mentions that Forson, before becoming Scientist Supreme, worked on a technology that could erase a person's mind with a trigger word.  Spencer seems to be implying that S.H.I.E.L.D. might, in fact, have bought its technology from Dr. Forson.  Moreover, it seems like Forson used the technology on Bobbi long before S.H.I.E.L.D. did and that she's the double agent.  M.O.D.O.K. also says that Forson turned Taskmaster before S.H.I.E.L.D. got to him, but I'm not sure what that means.  Was Taskmaster really working for Forson?  If so, why did he shoot him?  M.O.D.O.K. also says that S.H.I.E.L.D. has 11 A.I.M. agents in its lower levels and suggests that they go after them.

At this point, it's clear that Forson's playing a deep game.  We're basically left unsure where Mockingbird and Taskmaster's loyalties lie and, if they don't lie with S.H.I.E.L.D., whether Forson used his technology to change those loyalties.  (Also, it seems possible that Shang-Chi is Shang-Chi and just under Forson's control.)  We've also got a hint that he's not driven as much by his role as Scientist Supreme but perhaps as his membership in the Entropy cult.  Color me intrigued.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment