Monday, January 27, 2014

Captain America #14 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I'm probably going to be giving too much to credit to Marvel here, but, if the next cross-over event deals with a full-on attack on S.H.I.E.L.D. by various interested-parties, I'll be impressed with the way that it built to that event in several titles.  After all, we've got Cyclops and Wolverine preparing to go to war with S.H.I.E.L.D. for its development of mutant-killing Sentinels in "Wolverine and the X-Men."  Here, we've got the Iron Nail deciding to take down S.H.I.E.L.D. so that the world can live free from the secret police.  If you don't believe that S.H.I.E.L.D. is the secret police, the Secret Avengers' attempted assassination of A.I.M.'s Dr. Forson in "Secret Avengers" makes a pretty compelling case.  Moreover, Sam's orders to take the camera from the journalist in this issue is a good example of the sort of ethically challenged decisions that S.H.I.E.L.D. makes with little accountability.  That said, Remender also shows why the press isn't the noble institution that it thinks that it is, with the journalist misrepresenting the truth by saying that Cap and Nuke worked together in Nrosvekistan, probably for the page clicks.  It's exactly the sort of story that we should be seeing in "Captain America."

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment