Thursday, March 6, 2014

All-New X-Men #23 ("HERE BE SPOILERS!")

OK, I would normally whine about Corsair suddenly appearing alive to amp up the drama of this arc, but, OMG, I don't care, because I totally didn't see it coming and I can't wait to see where it goes.  We really have gotten the band back together!

This issue is amazing.  It may be my favorite issue of any comic, like, ever.  It's just...fun.  Rocket Raccoon answering the Shi'ar hail with, "Guardians of the Galaxy.  How may we help?"  Amazeballs.  Gamora telling X-23 that she likes her after X-23 demanded to go into space with her to fight the Shi'ar?  Excellent.  Scott sarcastically apologizing to Rocket for erroneously using some sort of device as a fire extinguisher by screaming that it's his first "space fire?"  Hilarious.  We even got some budding sexual tension between Kitty and Peter.  (Let me just go on record right now saying that I 100% want that relationship to happen.)

In his various "Avengers" titles, Bendis almost always made these sorts of moments of levity amidst drama feel forced, but they all feel totally organic here, in part, I think, because the drama is real.  After all, it's not all fun and games for everyone:  Jean isn't exactly having a great time of it.  Oracle's conversation with her is downright creepy and Kallark is suitably imposing.  Bendis really gets across her confusion and fear, hinting that the Shi'ar might have bitten off more than it can chew in capturing her.  I can't wait to see.

***** (five of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment