Friday, March 28, 2014

Avengers World #3 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

OK, Hickman and Spencer have another issue (two at the most) to hook me before I abandon hope.  After last issue's Smasher-focused story, I was hoping that we'd return to the larger story that the authors were/are telling, about the coordinated global attacks by several terrorist groups (at the very least, A.I.M. and the Hand).  Instead, we get another character-focused issue, this time focused on Shang-Chi.

Actually, the issue isn't even focused all that much on Shang-Chi.  It's actually really focused on all the heroes that inspired him (though his connection to them or how he knows about them is left unclear).  Unfortunately, all these heroes died as a result of their actions, something that we're supposed to believe is going to happen to Shang-Chi as well.

I'm not against character-focused stories, but, if we're going to do issue after issue of them, I'd prefer to see them happen in a book similar to "Avengers:  Solo."  The point of a regular Avengers story is to see the interplay between the characters, as we do in "Uncanny Avengers."  Instead, this series is starting to feel like a "Street Fighter" game, where we just see two minor characters fight against the backdrop of a vaguely articulated plot.  If that continues to be the case, I'm taking my quarters and going home.

** (two of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment