Saturday, March 29, 2014

New Warriors #1 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

This issue is fun, but Yost doesn't rest on his laurels.  He makes it clear that he intends for us to have a good time but won't be skimping on the gripping stories.  I'm still skeptical of Kaine's membership in the New Warriors, but I'm at least glad that Yost is invoking the same sort of vibe that he used in "Scarlet Spider."  It should be a good fit for the Warriors.

That said, the High Evolutionary seems like an odd choice for the Warriors' first viallin, and I'm somewhat confused by his game plan here.  Why has he suddenly turned against the New Men and other mutants?  The Evolutionary seemingly kills Bova here, declaring that she was never meant to exist (despite the fact that he created her).  He also seems to have a mad-on for anyone not purely human, something that seems to be a deviation from his usual position, of wanting to advance humanity.  Hopefully all will be revealed.

In the meantime, Yost gives us some insight into the Warriors' lives before they join the team.  Aracelly and Kaine are in Mexico.  Although I'm glad to see them, I'll admit that I was annoyed by the description of Aracelly as a demi-god, since I don't think that we ever established that in "Scarlet Spider."  However, I'm glad to see that Robbie has returned to his wise-cracking ways and that Penance is a thing of the past.

In other words, it was a "fly by the seat of your pants" sort of debut, but it was sufficiently solid to get me to the second issue.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment