Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #10 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

James Asmus takes charge for a filler issue here, as the three remaining members of the Sinister Six have a few drinks while they wait for the timer on a bar's safe to re-set.  (At least, I think that they're waiting for it to re-set.  I wasn't 100 percent clear why the safe is on a timer.  Does it open every hour?  That would be weird, right?)  Anyway, to entertain themselves, they tell the story of the biggest superhero that they've ever faced.  Hilarity ensues, obviously.

The Beetle and Speed Demon stories are suitably entertaining, but I have to say that I still don't have a great bead on Overdrive.  I feel like his personality changes with each author.  When he was first introduced (as, if I recall correctly, Spidey's first new villain of "Brand New Day"), he was essentially a superhero fan-boy.  However, Asmus has him so afraid of Hercules that he pees himself.  At any rate, it's an entertaining enough issue, though I'm anxious to see how Fred manages to extricate himself from the world of hurt that Beetle and Overdrive seemed poised to deliver to him last issue.

(Also, I have to note, not only do we get a great example of pet peeve #2 here, since it's Hercules, not Spider-Man, that serves as the nemesis of two of the Sinister Three, despite the cover, but the descriptions that come with each issue increasingly have nothing to do with the actual contents of the issue.)

** (two of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment