Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Superior Spider-Man #22 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I spent most of this issue feeling like I missed an issue.

Slott and Gage dive right into the launch of Parker Industries, despite the fact that Peter was only raising money for it two issues ago.  Parker Industries isn't just fully operational, though:  it's already developed a cure for Aunt May's leg.  Slott usually can let a sub-plot simmer (as he's doing with the storylines involving Goblin Nation and Carlie's investigation), but, lately, he seems to be resolving sub-plots as quickly as he develops them (e.g., Peter's academic problems in the last two issues).  Moreover, Spidey has a mad-on for Venom that I don't 100 percent understand.  I mean, OK, I get the anger at the symbiote, but I feel like Otto would've done some digging on a threat like Venom and realized that he wasn't who he thought that he was.  (He did the same for Blackout in the Annual.)  I'm guessing that Slott is going to posit it as Otto trying to be "superior" to Peter by defeating one of his greatest enemies, but it still feels a little forced that Otto doesn't seem to care that it's Flash.

But, my main problem is Aunt May suddenly turning...bigoted.  She makes a comment about Peter's commitment to diversity while talking to Cardiac (in his civilian guise) and when seeing Anna Maria.  Slott seems to be setting up her expressing disgust when Peter introduces her to Anna Maria, but I can't really see Saint May reacting way.  Again, it feels forced, like Slott just decided to shake up Aunt May by making her a little racist/sizeist.  Weird.

** (two of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment