Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #7 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I'll admit that I have a cold, so I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders here.  But, I found this issue confusing.  First, I was annoyed, because we have yet another example of super-villains having bound the hero but not taking advantage of that moment to reveal the hero's secret identity.  [Sigh.]  But, I got over the disappointment and moved right into confusion.

First, I thought that we were dropped into the story in media res.  However, we weren't, actually.  Maybe we were?  At any rate, we start this issue with everyone acting like Sun Girl theoretically died at the end of last issue.  She didn't, but we apparently were supposed to believe that she did?  I looked at the end of last issue and she's totally alive in the last panel.  So, if she died, it's from some sort of fight that she had with the Sinister Six in this issue.  The problem is that she never has that fight, so we're never really sure how she died.  Moreover, we're never really told how she's alive.  If I'm not mistaken, Sun Girl doesn't have any power of her own; she only has power through her suit.  So, if she somehow exploded or something in using her power (maybe to power the QPE?),  how did she survive?  If she's not made of light, how did she re-constitute herself?  Yost isn't saying.  She just suddenly re-appears in the Bowery and asks the onlookers, "Which way did they go?"  It's all very odd.  (Also, where did the Masters of Evil go?)

Second, we also get the fact that everyone is really mad at Spider-Man.  I mean, I get that the Sinister Six is pissed at him for using mind-control devices.  But, given the laundry list of things that he's publicly done (killing Massacre, mutilating Blackout, etc.), I thought that Sandman's disappointment was a little overblown.  Mind-controlling the Sinister Six seems pretty tame compared to shooting a guy point-blank in the middle of Grand Central Station.  Plus, the last time that we saw Sandman, he was helping Doc Ock take over the world, after all.  It's not like he's stayed on the straight and narrow thanks to Spidey's encouragement.  Then, Sun Girl is all mad at Spidey because...I don't know why.  She asks if everything is all because of him, but I'm not 100 percent sure how she would know that.  She herself seems confused about why the events of this issue happened.  (The more I think about it, the more I am, too.  Electro was going to blow up New York because he was mad at Spidey?  Maybe?)  Despite the fact that she doesn't know what Spidey did to create the situation that threatened New York, she decides that he's not a hero anymore?  It's kind of harsh, right?  You lose faith in your hero just because the villains did?

Ugh, I don't know.  Maybe I should've taken more Sudafed.

* (one of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment