Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Uncanny X-Men #19.NOW (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

When I started reading this issue, I thought to myself, "You know, it's a little convenient that we haven't had any new mutants since the team was more or less established."  But, Bendis clearly knew that someone like me was going to think exactly that to himself, so, tada, a powerful new mutant appears and the X-Men scramble to make contact.  Except, not really.  It was actually a trap, with a Mastermold-like Sentinel dispatching a bunch of creepy-faced Sentinels to take out the X-Men.  (I know that part sounds weird, but, honestly, it's pretty awesome.)

The point of this issue is to start the war between the X-Men and S.H.I.E.L.D.  Except, again, not really.  Someone else (who I didn't recognize) is apparently launching the Sentinels, and Bendis makes Scott and his team smart enough to acknowledge the possibility that S.H.I.E.L.D. actually isn't behind the attacks.  But, as Scott says, it doesn't really matter, since, if S.H.I.E.L.D. can't be bothered to stop them, they're just as guilty as the person actually sending out the Sentinels.  It's layer of intrigue on top of intrigue, and my only hope is that Bendis doesn't rush the story, because I'm excited to see where he goes with it.

Moreover, Bendis continues to show that he's learned character development since his time on "Avengers."  We're reminded not only of Eva's crush on Scott this issue, but also her disapproval of the "firing," if you will, of Hijack and the fact that we still don't know what happened to her in Tabula Rasa.  Mystique sinks to new lows (even for her) as she uses Dazzler to harvest the material needed for mutant-growth hormone, justifying it as a way to make money for Madripoor and because Dazzler was a traitor to her people.  (Sure, Mystique.)  Moreover, Magik reveals her improved command of sorcery, as she uses her powers to get around the fact that the creepy-faced Sentinels were able to block the mutant powers.  (Did I mention that part?)  This table remains largely focused on Cyclops, but, increasingly, Bendis is really starting to turn it into a team book.

**** (four of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment