Thursday, May 8, 2014

Justice League #29 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I can't say that I didn't like this issue, though I felt like I've read it umpteen times previously.

Cyborg faces Grid, his own Bizarro, himself through the glass, darkly.  By accepting his dual computer/human nature, Cyborg finds the key to cutting off Grid from the outside world and thereby severing the Crime Syndicate's control over Earth's technology.  It's an important moment, obviously, since it's only by severing this link that Cyborg will be able to move unhindered to free the Justice League from the Firestorm Matrix, clearly the key moment of "Forever Evil" #7.  (Of course, given how many "key moments" that issue is going to need to have to wrap up this story, one wonders.)

The problem is that it's just not all that exciting.  I mean, did anyone believe that Cyborg really wasn't going to defeat Grid?  The conclusion just seemed to be clear before I opened up the issue.  Plus, getting him to the win by accepting himself for who he is now just felt really after-school special.  I'm not saying that those moments aren't moving, but this one is too heavy-handed to be.

On the plus side, the Metal Men provided great comic relief, but it seemed weird that they just kept squaring off against nameless groups with rosters of B-team super-villains that I didn't recognize at all and Johns put in no effort in defining.  Again, it's not a terrible issue, but it's definitely skippable.

** (two of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment