Saturday, June 21, 2014

Amazing X-Men #7 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I wanted to like this issue.  I mean, it's Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends!  But, man, I have no idea what happened.  Somewhere along the way, Immonen confuses "wacky" with "nonsensical," and the issue pays for it.

We're supposed to believe that Spider-Man was guarding the mascot of a local college team, when it was accidentally kidnapped by aliens.  (I know.  Just wait.  It gets worse.)  However, we're not told whether Spider-Man or Peter Parker was guarding the mascot, even though neither possibility really makes sense.  Moreover, the aliens didn't just kidnap the mascot; they meant to kidnap an alien baby.  Maybe?  I'm still unclear on this part.  At the end of the issue, they welcomed the baby as one of their own, so maybe they just beamed up the wrong being?  But, then, how did the alien baby get on Earth in the first place?  Plus, the aliens apparently wanted to kidnap someone and mistook the mascot for an "important being."  But...

You know, I think that I'll just stop here.  This issue is a great example of why a great premise and witty banter can't replace an actual plot.

* (one of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment