Thursday, June 26, 2014

Amazing X-Men #8 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Wait, is Colossus no longer a "wanted murderer and fugitive?"  When did that happen?  You can't just drop that information into the middle of the book like nothing happened.  I mean, yes, from the minute that we started down the "Colossus is a wanted murderer and fugitive," it was unlikely to stick.  But, we at least have to pretend like it's a big deal that he no longer is a wanted murderer fugitive, particularly if Emma, Illyana, and Scott are.  Some explanation for those of us not reading "Cable and X-Force" is necessary.

That quibble aside, man, I'm excited about this arc.  I love me some Alpha Flight, and a whole horde of crazed Wendigos seems like just the sort of Canadian free-for-all that will bring out the best in them.  Moreover, this issue is fun.  Sure, Kyle and Yost lay it on a little thick in making Bobby an idiot, but I have to admit that I loved his conversation with Storm.  "Has [Logan] ever gone to Canada without being nearly killed?!"  Indeed, Storm.  Indeed.

I will say that the art is a little...off.  The scene between Colossus and Nightcrawler doesn't look like McGuinness.  I guess that it's one of the drawbacks of a clearly defined style, but it looked like he got an intern to draw it and signed his name to it.  If McGuinness had been on his game a little more and the authors hadn't turned Bobby into an idiot, I probably would've scored this issue higher.  As it is, it was at least an enjoyable romp.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment