Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Captain America #22 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Wow, we cover a lot of ground in this issue.

First, I like how Remender only half-heartedly tries to get us to buy Maria and Nick's argument that S.H.I.E.L.D. should keep Gungnir.  Nick tries to pretend that the ever-expanding Avengers' roster raises the same governance and oversight questions as S.H.I.E.L.D.'s operations.  Remender also shows that Nick isn't the only person to hold this position through a news clip of a talking head ranting about the need to hold Captain America responsible to the people that he serves (after his alleged work with Nuke in Nrosvekistan).  But, Cap doesn't buy it, and you can tell that Remender doesn't either.

But, the interesting part is that it's not Steve's fight to fight anymore.  Remender uses the Avengers' brain trust to make it clear that he's not putting Cap in the field any time soon, given Bruce and Tony's failure to find a way to re-super-soldier him.  This week's announcement that Sam is going to be the next Cap doesn't hurt either.  Remender continues to write a better Sam than anyone that I can remember.  Coming on the heels of the character's scene-stealing role in "Captain America:  The Winter Soldier," it's really the renaissance that the Falcon has needed for a long time.  It goes to a point that I often made about Sharon Carter.  She got dropped from the "Secret Avengers" roster once Cap left, as if she couldn't be a character in her own right.  Sam also gets treated this way not infrequently, and I'm excited to see him emerge as his own hero.

The only questionable part of this issue for me was Jet's characterization.  She suddenly develops a personality here, as well as an enjoyment for alcohol, despite telling the S-Man who offered her some in "Captain America" #16.NOW that she doesn't "pollute her body with mind-altering substances."  But, of course, in that issue, she knew that said S-Man wasn't exactly trust-worthy.  In the end, I've decided that I don't care.  I like this Jet.  Plus, it's not like she's unrecognizable.  She still makes everyone - particularly men - nervous, and I enjoy that thoroughly.

Oh, did I mention that Zola is alive and successfully invades Earth here?  (I told you that a lot happened.)  Remender doesn't say it, but it's easy enough to believe that decades have passed in Dimension Z and Zola managed to re-grow himself (or whatever it is that he does).  We'll probably get that proof when we learn next issue that the armored figure is an adult Ian.  Can I just say how excited that I am about that reunion?  It's not like Steve couldn't use a win.  He'll also need the help:  Zola isn't just acting alone.  He's putting into action some sort of master plan with the Red Skull.  Man, Sam is going to have his hands full.

If Brubaker's work on "Captain America" gave us the definitive Bucky story, then I have to say that Remender's run is starting to feel like the definitive Steve story (and, clearly, Sam story).  It's been a journey, taking him from a child to a senior citizen and exploring his challenges and struggles along the way.  I haven't been this excited for "Captain America" in years.

**** (four of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment