Saturday, July 26, 2014

Original Sin #5.1/Thor & Loki: The Tenth Realm (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I've always loved Thor stories, and I have to wonder why I've never really subscribed to any of his various titles.  After reading this issue, I'm particularly confused why I'm not subscribing to "Loki:  Agent of Asgard."  I'm going to have to remedy both those problems shortly.

Obviously, I enjoyed this issue.  Aaron gives us a great plot, Ewing provides an excellent script full of real emotion but also lighter moments, and Garbett manages to capture each character's personality in simply their evocative facial expressions.  Moreover, Bianchi's two-page splash panel showing the grandeur of the Tenth Realm was a brilliant addition.  Strong, strong, strong.

I love the idea that Angela is Thor's sister, because it takes a character awkwardly inserted into the Marvel Universe and really explains it in a way that actually makes sense.  She was unknowingly held captive in a Tenth Realm that Odin removed from the rest of the realms after its leader seemingly killed Angela during a war with Asgard.  We still don't know why the "angels" from this Tenth Realm and Asgard were at war, but Aaron will presumably get there.  But, it all makes sense, like Marvel planned "Original Sin" specifically to bring about this revelation.  It's unusually tight storytelling, and I have to applaud Marvel for how much of All-New Marvel has changed characters' status quo in ways that feel innovative and organic.  The House of Ideas feels on firmer foundation than it has been for a while, and this issue really demonstrates that.

I can't wait to see where we go from here.  The idea that Thor and young Loki have needlessly entered the Tenth Realm (and, presumably, reconnected it to the other realms) is exactly the sort of bone-headed rush into a problem that you expect from Thor.  I can't wait to see what sort of trouble that it invites.  If you decided not to get this series due to your (understandable) Point One exhaustion, change your mind.  

***** (five of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment