Friday, August 8, 2014

Secret Avengers #5 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

OK, OK.  I had actually decided to cancel this series, but I'm giving Kot a few more issues.  He's clearly building to something, though I'll admit that I have no idea what it is.

At this stage, all we really know is that we can't trust M.O.D.O.K.  Kot leaves it unclear if Hill is talking about herself, M.O.D.O.K., or someone else when she says, "You're slipping," while looking at herself in the mirror.  If Hill is talking about M.O.D.O.K., it implies that Hill only brought in M.O.D.O.K. to get a better sense of the plot that he's hatching and that she's close to discovering it.  If it's Hill talking about herself, it implies the narration that precedes this comment (about the narrator watching the subject) is about M.O.D.O.K. observing Hill (though it's unclear if it's nefarious or not).  If it's about someone else, we haven't been adequately introduced to that person yet.  Moreover, Kot complicates matters by making all three possibilities -- Hill, M.O.D.O.K., or "someone else" -- suspects in the murder of the Latverian hitman who tried to assassinate Maria, allegedly because one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s drone strikes killed his parents.  To make matters worse, the person who killed the hitman isn't necessarily the person behind the narration.

In other words, I realized that this series is really all about this dance that Maria is playing with M.O.D.O.K. or our unidentified "someone else."  Everything else -- Coulson's PTSD, Fury's injury, Spider-Woman's identification of her empathy powers -- is just a distraction.  I'm intrigued, and I'm willing to see where Kot goes, but I'm going to need some sort of clarity soon.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment