Sunday, November 2, 2014

Amazing Spider-Man #1.5 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Slott brings "Learning to Crawl" to an end in this issue, despite the fact that I felt like he was telling a much bigger story than the one that we ultimately get.  Overall, I thought this look (even if shorter than expected) at Peter's early days was great, though this issue itself is a mixed bag.

On the plus side, I thought Slott did a great job of bringing us full circle.  For a while, it looked like Peter was going to develop lasting friendships with the A.V. club, raising the obvious question of why those people aren't in his life now.  But, the revelation that he stole from the A.V. club (to fight Clash) and consequently ruined those friendships turns them into a brief interlude of happiness in Peter's otherwise miserable high-school experience.  Similarly, Dr. Cobbwell refuses to allow him to return to work for him; although they end of friendlier terms than Peter does with the A.V. club, it explains why Peter was never seen working for him after issue #2.  In other words, Slott doesn't change canon here.  The Peter than ends this mini-series is the Peter that we recognize, just one living in a more modern world than he did.

Although Slott manages to tie up these loose ends in a way that feels organic, other aspects of the story in this issue feel forced.  For example, I thought Jonah fired Peter last issue?  I mean, I get that Jonah is mercurial, so he could've easily changed his mind once Peter produced some decent photos, but it would've been nice for Slott to show us that.  Moreover, I find it hard to believe that Peter's guidance counselor -- a man allegedly dedicated to troubled kids -- would so easily dismiss him as "untrustworthy," a "chronic liar," and a "lost cause."  Judgmental much?  It's clear that Slott needed him to be this dismissive to explain why we never saw him again but also to set up Aunt May's joke.

In terms of the joke -- where Aunt May sneezes and sends a set of wind-up chattering teeth flying onto Peter's lap --  I have to say that I appreciate what Slott was trying to do.  I've liked everything that he's done with May throughout this mini-series.  In the original stories, she hardly gives a thought to the impact that Ben's death had on Peter.  I've loved Slott showing her as much more engaged; in addition to updating the time period of the story, it's the best thing about this mini-series.  However, just like with the guidance counselor, the problem is that it's forced.  It would be OK if it felt organic, but it doesn't.  May isn't just funny to be funny; she's funny to get Peter to realize the importance of having fun while being Spider-Man.  She claims that a sense of humor is Ben's other gift, besides his heart.  I'll buy that, but I don't ultimately buy where it leads us, namely Peter deciding to use quips to honor Uncle Ben.  He's always been described as using them as a result of his nerves, and he eventually realizes (as he does here) how they successfully distract his opponent.  I totally don't buy that he does it as some sort of homage.  I just don't get why Slott felt the need to go down this road, since it really the only part that feels negatively ret-con-y.

My biggest grip, though, is one that I often have with Slott, namely that he tries to do too much and winds up failing to deliver on certain components of the story.  We're really supposed to believe that  Peter just rips off Clash's mask in front of everyone?  I'm assuming that we don't hear from Clash again because he goes to prison, and, I have to say, it just seems remarkably callous on Peter's part to set up that.  He's also a guy wearing a mask, and it's not like Clash has been using his power to rob liquor stores.  He's mostly been just a nuisance, if a dangerous one.  Peter doesn't try to have some sort of heart-to-heart talk to him?  He just rips off his mask and ruins his life?  Moreover, he then crows about it, as if it's some great honor to Uncle Ben?  It feels uncharacteristically tone-deaf on Slott's part to have Peter be this vindictive.

But, as I said, overall, I really enjoyed this mini-series.  I'd recommend it to anyone trying to get a quick insight into Peter's origins, rater than having to track down the TPBs of his early adventures.  You get a more modern story that improves upon the original in ways that surprises you.  I just wish Slott had stuck the landing a little better.

** (two of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment