Saturday, November 15, 2014

Thor #1 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Wow.  I have a lot to say.

I rarely talk about the art first when I write a review, but Dauterman and Wilson deliver one of the most beautiful comics that I've ever read.  It's not just because Thor is prettier than he's possibly ever been.  (I have a thing for brooding.  Sue me.)  They really master small and large moments alike.  The splash page where the Frost Giants attack the Roxxon base is beautiful; the Giants seem to walk off the page into reality.  But, the grief conveyed by Thor's barely open eyes as he begs Mjolnir to move is equally beautiful.  I hope they stay on this title for a long time, imbuing it with the grandeur of the Norse gods but also showing the gods' humanity and thus making them identifiable characters.

In terms of the story, Aaron does an amazing job breathing life into each character.  From Odin's bombast to Freya's wryness to Thor's despair, the characters feel as real as the guy sitting next to you.  They are not simply archetypes, representing a certain type of character.  They feel like honest-to-goodness people.  You can laugh at Odin's haughty cluelessness just as easily as you can identify with Freya's maternal concern.

But, it's not just the dialogue that pops.  Aaron leaves us with a number of questions that will clearly the guide the first few issues of this series.  Most obviously, how will Thor respond to Malekith cutting off his arm and setting him adrift in the Norwegian Sea?  I'll admit that it took me a second read to notice his lonely figuring falling into the depths.  In fact, if I had one criticism of this issue, it's that we seemed to rush to the arm-cutting moment.  It's pretty unexpected for someone to cut off Thor's arm.  As a result, my mind didn't exactly process the moment as it happened, particularly since it's essentially confined to half a page.  Dauterman at least confirms that Malekith cut off Thor's arm by having it lie on the floor next to him, but, in some ways, I felt like we skipped over the brutality of the scene, letting it happen in passing.  If Thor (presumably) survives, how far off the deep end will losing his arm (at least for a while) send him, given that he was already pretty close to the edge?

But, Aaron doesn't just leave us for questions for Thor; other characters' paths are equally unclear.  Has Freya taken up the mantle of Thor?  What artifact did Roxxon find that the Frost Giants want?  What's Malekith planning?

It's a lot of questions for just one issue, particularly one that felt as well plotted and executed as this one.  We weren't lost in long expository sequences trying to get across enough information as possible.  (I'm looking at you, "Bucky Barnes:  Winter Soldier" #1.)  The revelations were organic and one built off the next.

I have to say, as a new "Thor" reader, Aaron makes me wonder why I haven't been collecting this series since I was a kid.  I can't wait to see the stories unfold (and track down some back issues).

***** (five of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment