Monday, December 22, 2014

Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #2 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

As a former literature major, I'm pretty comfortable reading difficulty worded texts.  I can't say that it's my favorite narrative approach, but I understand, at times, that the story requires it to convey as certain sense of uncertainty.  The problem is that the story has to require it.  Otherwise, it feels intentionally obfuscating (and showy), where the author is using it to convey a sense of complication or mystery but instead simply leaves the reader bored and confused.  Kot does the latter here, and it's why I'm canceling the series.

In "Secret Avengers," I have a pretty good grasp where the story is going.  It might be a little hard to follow at times, but Kot is weaving a pretty clear narrative.  You can say definitely at the end of each issue what happened, even if it's unclear how it contributes to the overall story that he's telling.  That's not the case here.  I not only have no idea what happened in issue #1 or this one, but I also have no idea what story he's telling.  I tried, but I still don't see how we went from underwater drug-smugglers to doing...whatever it is that Bucky does here in Asgardia.  It's a shame that this series is going the way of "Red Hood and the Outlaws" for me, where I have to bail on a sidekick made good, but here we are.

* (one of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment