Friday, January 23, 2015

All-New X-Men #34 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I'll admit to being lost here.  I'm not sure if it's Bendis' fault or my fault, but lost I am.

The story as it stands:  Logan, Jr. tells Laura and Warren that some dude at the Weapon X facility allegedly created all the mutants on this Earth, Iceman fights a monster only to get arrested and then escape, Beast tells Dr. Doom everything (and I mean, everything), and Jean meets Jean.  Along the way, Jean and Laura come to the conclusion that they have to find the Ultimate version of the mutant who sent them to the Ultimate Universe in order to have a hope of going home.  Right now, Jean, with the aid of Cerebro, seems the most likely to accomplish that goal, though Dr. Doom might have also come to a similar conclusion after his chat with Hank.

OK, so, I'm not "lost" lost.  But, I'm lost in the sense that this story just feels unnecessary.  Maybe it's because I'm mired in "Axis" and "Spider-Verse," so I'm sort of tired of these sorts of grand-idea stories, but I just feel like we're spinning our wheels here.  It's like I said in a previous review:  did we really need them lost in time and space?  We're covering the same emotional ground that we did when they were displaced in time.  For example, Jean is struggling with the revelation that the Ultimate Jean lived a different, more tragic life than she did; it's the same story as her discovering the different, more tragic life that her future self lived.  Nothing feels particularly original here.

In other words:  meh.  If you're a fan of the Ultimate Universe, this arc is probably pretty cool, but I'm just ready for us to move to the next one.

** (two of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment