Sunday, January 18, 2015

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 [eye roll] (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I'm pretty sure that this "Annual #1" is at least the third one that "Amazing Spider-Man" has had, but I digress.

Ryan tells a totally solid Spider-Man story here that actually gives us some insight into his character that I'm not sure we've seen elsewhere.  (Let's be honest, that's saying a lot.)  Ryan shows us that Peter isn't exclusively motivated by do-gooder-ism when he helps people; this story of Spidey trying to track down German tourists to return a cell phone shows us that it's a lot more fun doing that than reading a boring report (as Sanjani wants him to do).  As someone who spends a lot of time reading boring reports, I totally see the allure of Web-Slinging around Manhattan trying to return a cell phone instead.  The unexpected Hawkeye cameo is great, and I continue to hope that we continue to see my favorite super-villain team, the Menagerie, on a frequent basis.

The back-up stories?  Make not a lick of sense.  I mean, Dr. Bong?  But, the main story is solid.  I'm not sure it's $4.99 solid, but, if you're a fan, that's a price that we frequently have to pay.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment