Sunday, January 25, 2015

Batman Eternal #39 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I don't know why I'm still reading this series.  I converted to getting it digitally so at least it wasn't taking up space in my boxes, but, at this point, I just feel like I'm torturing myself.

This issue is yet another in a long line of issues where Snyder proves that Batman is an idiot.  He's so desperate to discover the identity of the perpetrator that he plays the Riddler's games, hoping that he'll tell reveal it to him.  Really?  He's suddenly become such a terrible detective that he has to rely on the Riddler?  Jesus, I mean, Vicky Vale and her boss even seem poised to figure out the plan before their duplicitous intern tries to kill them.  Are we really supposed to believe that Bruce is so incapable of solving this mystery?  Apparently, yes, we are.  We're also supposed to believe that Bruce is half-exhausted from the events of all these issues, but, honestly, I just don't buy it.  He's spent most of his time in the Batcave.  Sure, he's had a few fisticuffs here and there, but he's been so inert throughout this series that it's hard to believe he isn't even getting a good night's sleep, let alone that he's close to some sort of breakdown.

We're also apparently supposed to believe that he's so focused on the identity of the mastermind that he has totally abdicated his responsibility to Gotham.  He apparently doesn't care -- at all -- that the weapons that Hush stole from his caches are still out there, evidenced by the fact that the mastermind just gave them to pretty much every costumed villain in the city.  When we dispatched Batgirl, Red Hood, and Red Robin a few issues ago to play catch-up, no one was given orders to find the weapons?  Doesn't Harper need something to do?  She's pretty good at this stuff.  Does it matter if he solves the mystery of the mastermind's identity if everyone in Gotham is already dead?

I hope reading this series is building up my karma for the afterlife, because, man, I have no idea why I keep doing it to myself.

* (one of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment