Sunday, July 12, 2015

Star Wars #6 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

His wife!  The other bounty hunter is his wife?

At some point, I'll accept how brilliant Aaron is at getting the voices of these characters so perfect and stop mentioning it.  But, for now, I think that it's still worth noting.  Han and Leia's argument over his (alleged) attempted seduction is brilliantly scripted; I could hear Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford yelling at each other.  But, Aaron also shows his understanding of the characters themselves.  Han tells Leia that no one else knew about his smuggler's den other than Chewie.  The fact that we learn that he was lying because his wife appears says everything that we need to know about Han's trustworthiness at this point.  In fact, the revelation that he even had a wife serves as a reminder of just how little we know about the lives of these characters before the movies take place.  Although Luke may not have had much of a past, Han and Leia clearly did, and I can't wait for Aaron to explore these stories.  I'm also obviously anxious to learn more about Sana.  She's clearly not a hero, given the brutality that she's shown in shaking down people for information about Han.  Did Han leave her before of that?  It'll be interesting to see.

Meanwhile, on Tatooine, Luke manages to defeat Boba Fett and escape with Ben's journals.  I'll admit that I don't totally buy the fact that a blind Luke managed to take out Fett, even with his Jedi tricks.  But, Cassaday does his best to sell it, showing it as a fairly clumsy affair where the cramped quarters limited some of Fett's moves (such as using his rocket pack offensively).  But, it's the final scene, of Darth Vader cracking the window in front of him when Fett tells him Skywalker's name, that really takes the cake here.  Cassaday shifts perspective from a side view within the room to a full view looking through the window, and it really amps up the drama.  I'm pretty sure that I gasped!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  I can't wait to see where we go from here.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment