Friday, January 1, 2016

Detective Comics #46 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

The only thing I really have to say about this issue is that it's the most touching story about a dying creature and his parents that you'll read all year.

Now, look, it's not perfect.  I totally rolled my eyes when Jim miraculously put together the story of the parents sacrificing themselves for food for the baby and the baby subsequently refusing to leave his mother's skeleton.  I continued to roll my eyes at the idea that the Justice League needed Jim to piece it together, given that Flash is a forensic scientist and Cyborg is...well, Cyborg.  In fact, I was rolling my eyes so much by the end that they hurt.  We're really supposed to believe that the Justice League had nothing better to do than track down "missing hikers?"  The landscape looked like it was Antarctica, so it's hard to believe that the place had a veritable parade of hikers streaming through it.  (In case you're wondering, after it ate its mother, the baby survived on the liquid found in human eyeballs.  As such, it had to kill the aforementioned hikers.  However, we also learn that this liquid only sustained it; Earth's atmosphere has been slowly killing it the entire time.)

All that said, I still go choked up a bit at the end, as Jim sings the dying baby a lullaby as it cradles its mother.  (Cyborg had brought the mother "alive" by super-imposing a hologram on her skeleton.  When the baby saw it, he let the Justice League go.)  It's probably the most off-beat issue of the year, but Tomasi really sells it at the end.  It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it reminds me how Tomasi is one of the best scripter of emotions out there.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment