Saturday, April 30, 2016

Spidey #2 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Thompson did what I hoped that he'd do here, focus less on re-telling Peter's origin story and more on telling stories that fall in the gaps of previous stories, like Slott did with "Amazing Spider-Man:  Learning to Crawl."  Peter is already familiar with Sandman here, so Thompson is able to step aside and let Bradshaw go to town.  And "go to town" he does:  this issue is beautiful in every way.  I wasn't really a huge fan of his run on "Wolverine and the X-Men," but I'm increasingly convince that he was born to draw "Spidey."  Thompson guides us through the fight via Peter's inner monologue, and I have to admit that I recognize the chatty, nerdy Peter here more than I do the arrogant, distracted Peter in the main title.  It might be a win by default, but it's a win nonetheless.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment