Monday, July 18, 2016

Not-Very-Deep Thoughts: The June 15 Marvel Edition (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Civil War II #2:  Again, I don't really have much to say here, but this time it's because Bendis so perfectly anticipates what I expected to happen after the events of last issue:  Tony kidnaps Ulysses, the Inhumans want revenge for the affront, and Carol asks for a shot at bringing in Tony before the Inhumans go to war.  Along the way, Carol and Tony have possibly the best banter ever.  (Really.  I usually hate Bendis' banter, but this banter is top-notch.)  Now we just have to see if the Hulk kills everyone next issue.

Civil War II:  Amazing Spider-Man #2:  Gage does here what the best tie-in issues do, using the premise of "Civil War II" to advance a character's ongoing storyline.  In this issue, Peter may create a self-fulfilling prophecy, when Ulysses' prediction that Clayton Cole will again take up his Clash identity drives Peter to push Clayton into doing just that.  Peter realizes his mistake, but it might be too late, as Clayton puts in a rush order on his Clash costume with the Tinkerer.  Although ostensibly Peter's fault, Gage isn't totally easy on Cole:  after all, he was secretly building his Clash uniform again.  Gage also gives us some great insights into Harry along the way, as he warns Peter that it's hard to put aside the limelight that the costume brings.  My guess is that this experience with Cole is going to put Peter firmly on Tony's side, believing that the unintended consequences of acting on Ulysses' visions aren't worth it.  But, it's really the characterization that makes this issue, and it makes me wish that someone would finally pry "Amazing Spider-Man" from Slott's hands and give it to Gage.  (This issue actually came out July 13, but I read it by accident, mistaking it for "Civil War II:  X-Men" #1.  Just like Ulysses, you're seeing into the future!)


Moon Knight #1-#4:  I knew that Lemire, Smallwood, and Bellaire had me in the scene from issue #4 where Khonshu appears to Marc in a bathroom stall while he's at the urinal.  Everything about this scene is so great:  Lemire putting the characters there, Smallwood making it so realistic, and Bellaire creating a great atmosphere.  My only previous exposure to Moon Knight came as a loyal reader of "West Coast Avengers" in the '80s.  I was always intrigued by him, but he had back story in the way that Spider-Woman had back story.  In other words, it was complicated.  I had flagged this series as a possible pull, but it wasn't until "Black Knight" and "Red Wolf" got canceled that I felt that I had some time for it.  I'm glad that I took the plunge.  The creators are telling a wonderfully original story, and, after four issues, I honestly can't say what reality is and isn't.  Is Marc insane?  Is he sane?  Maybe he's both?  I was disappointed when Lemire's "All-New Hawkeye" got canceled, but reading this series makes me feel like I got a reprieve.  I highly recommend it.

Spider-Gwen #9:  This issue is extremely difficult to follow if you (like me) didn't read every part of the "Spider-Women" event.  First, Gwen has apparently lost her powers; she has a "power-up" device that she can use to temporarily become Spider-Woman, but once the device's charges are exhausted she's done.  Second, a picture of her shaking hands with Captain America has been released, apparently making the public re-assess their view of Spider-Woman.  (I was surprised by this development, since I feel like this picture was taken quite a long time ago.  Why is everyone just reacting to it now?)  Moreover, Captain Stacy has done his part in helping the public change its mind about Gwen, releasing a video on YouTube that details why the police and the public rushed to judgement on her guilt.  (Again, I don't think that this event happened in this title, but it's possible that it did in one of the "Spider-Women" issues.  That said, we might be seeing it for the first time here.)  At any rate, this last development is the catalyst for the events of this issue, as Frank Castle decides to present his case to the District Attorney.  He in turn tells Castle that he's not touching it given the now positive view that the public has of Spider-Woman.  Frank doesn't handle that well, stalking Gwen and confronting her in front of her friends when he stops a robbery at the hot dog place.  In a rage, Gwen powers up and attacks him in front of her friends, later fleeing.  Latour does a great job of showing how overwhelmed Gwen is:  she previously lamented the fact that she didn't get a choice in getting her powers, but now that she has one it's too much to handle.  But, this message is undermined by the confusion that I felt since I really had absolutely no idea what was happening for most of the issue, since I didn't read "Spider-Women."  Hopefully it'll be easier to follow next issue, because I refuse to be forced to read an event retroactively that I didn't want to read in the first place.

Uncanny X-Men #8:  Bunn really loses me here, to be honest.  First, we have Fantomex and Psylocke at each other's throats over some betrayal that I don't understand because I didn't read "Uncanny X-Force."  (For all the ranting that Fantomex does here about Besty's betrayal, you'd think that he could've actually mentioned what it was.)  Then, we learn that Fantomex is there at Magento's invitation, allegedly to kill Betsy, though we're given no idea why he would want to do so or why he would choose then and there to do it.  Finally, we learn that Clan Akkaba wants Betsy there to summon the Archangel drone, though we don't know why.  After all, they cut off Warren's wing:  why would they just another Warren with wings?   If you were a long-time reader of "Uncanny X-Force," this issue might make more sense to you.  For me, I spent most of it wishing the Wikipedia entry on Fantomex was more current.

Also Read:  Amazing Spider-Man #14; Archangel #1-#2; Civil War II:  X-Men #1; Dungeons & Dragons:  Shadows of the Vampire #2; 
Han Solo #1; Spidey #7; Star Wars #20

No comments:

Post a Comment