Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Not-So-New Comics: The September 20 Marvel Edition (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Generations:  Ms. Marvel and Ms. Marvel #1:  This issue is even better than the “Hawkeye and Hawkeye” one.  It proves the concept:  a way to get fresh eyes on our heroes.  Kamala beautifully summarizes her fight with Carol in the present as Carol wanting peace and order but Kamala wanting to know who takes the peace and who gets the orders.  Somehow, she realizes she can reconcile those two positions when she writes make-up tips for protesters, saving “Woman” magazine from getting sold to the Shi’ar.  (It’s less crazy than it sounds.)  I’m not quite sure how it shows Kamala has reconciled Carol’s black-and-white view of peace and order with her own view, but I’m not going to let it get in the way of my enjoyment of the story.  Willow is supported by an excellent Villanelli who delivers an appearance by a divinely handsome Peter Parker.  I wouldn’t recommend many “Generations” issues, but I’d recommend this one.  (I'd also like to get Villanelli on a Spider-Man title, stat!)

Spider-Men II #3:  Despite pet peeve #2 rearing its ugly head here, Miles Morales doesn’t fight his Prime Earth doppelganger in this issue.  Instead, we see how “our” Miles Morales (if you will) becomes friends with Wilson Fisk in prison, earning the respect of the mob family for whom Fisk is an enforcer by serving time for his own cousin.  When Fisk eventually takes over said family, Morales is right at his side.  Eventually, he falls in love, and Wilson offers to grant his greatest wish; Miles says he wants to “disappear” from this world with his girlfriend.  It implies somehow “our” Miles Morales actually did go to another world, but it doesn’t explain what Peter found when he Googled Miles’ name at the end of the original “Spider-Men."  I can’t say I really care about the answer, but in for a penny in for a pound.

U.S.Avengers #10:  I quit this book once, but I returned mostly because it plays a fairly significant role in cross-over events.  With “Secret Empire” behind us, Ewing tries to justify the team’s existence yet again.  This time, Toni’s speech to herself in her cell during "Secret Empire" has inspired A.I.M.’s scientists to embrace their core mission of pushing science to its limits.  Ewing strikes a political tone in doing so, as one of the scientists observes that science is on the outs right now in American political discourse; underscoring that point, the new A.I.M. liaison is a combination of Ted Cruz and Jeff Sessions.  I can’t say I’m all that enthralled.  But, the next few issues seem to focus on Cannonball, as Smasher finds Roberto to tell him Sam is alive and needs help.  I’m really only here for Cannonball, so I guess I’ll keep going for at least a few more issues.

Also Read:  Journey to Star Wars:  The Last Jedi - Captain Phasma #2; Peter Parker:  The Spectacular Spider-Man #4; Star Wars Annual #3; X-Men:  Gold #12

No comments:

Post a Comment