Thursday, February 14, 2019

Not-Very-New Comics: The December 12 Marvel Edition (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Amazing Spider-Man #11:  This issue is solid, as JJJ, Jr. -- desperately seeking acceptance once again from New York's high society -- agrees to Wilson Fisk's invitation to present him with an award at an exclusive private club.  The catch is that Fisk wants Spider-Man there, too, as part of his campaign to make it seem like Spider-Man supports him.  Spencer has a good read on JJJ, Jr., particularly when it comes to the lenses through which other characters, like Robbie Robertson, see him.  That said, I still feel like this series is missing something.  It's not terrible by any means, but Spencer doesn't seem to be hitting his steps as neatly as he did when he was writing "Captain America."

Mr. and Mrs X #6:  I really enjoyed this issue.  We don't really see enough issues focused on the X-Men spending time with each other anymore, and Thompson delivers.  Surprisingly, she's possibly at her best in depicting Bobby and Laura, to the point where I really think we could use a Thompson-penned "Iceman/X-23" road-trip series, something I didn't know I needed until this issue.  But, she also does a great job of showing Remy and Rogue confront their pasts.  Remy has to face down Bella Donna and a Thieves' Guild furious at him for marrying a goody-two-shoes like Rogue.  For her part, Rogue has to encounter Magneto, but it's a much more helpful reunion.  He tells her to talk to Remy about her concerns over her fluctuating powers but also something else she needs to hear, that Remy isn't going anywhere.  Magneto, apparently ever the romantic.

Peter Parker:  The Spectacular Spider-Man #313:  This arc ends more strongly than I expected as Peter successfully outfoxes Morlun, drugging him into submission with tranquilizers he found at the zoo.  It feels inspired by the "Marvel's Spider-Man" videogame, as we don't usually see Peter interact with New York as specifically as he does here (and as he does throughout the videogame).  Peter makes a speech at the end of the issue that summarizes Ryan's assertion on why he defeats Morlun so often, namely that Morlun assumes he's going to win because he's faster and stronger and thus never has a plan.  I more or less buy that logic, and it does at least partly address my criticism of issue #312.  It's not perfect, but I'll take it.  Frigeri is also on fire here; he can draw half-naked Spidey whenever he wants in my book.

Spider-Force #3:  I read the words, but, honestly, I barely understand what they were saying.  I think Priest was telling a story about no one trusting each other, so they made bad decisions.  The problem with that premise is he also repeatedly mentioned they were all bonded to each other after Jameson linked their minds.  But, apparently Kaine lied about his Web-Warrior watch being broken, though I have no idea why he did so?  It doesn't help that understanding this issue requires you to remember what happened in issue #1, since we reach that moment here.  I'm sure if you're reading this series as part of a TPB it might make sense but I don't at all remember the details Priest wants me to remember two months later.  Plus, "Spider-geddon" #4 already spoiled the ending, showing Jessica arriving on Earth-616 with the Solus crystal.  This series had great potential, but it's really just a mess at the end.

Spider-Gwen:  Ghost Spider #3:  I'll admit I don't totally buy the resolution here.  Gwen realizes  the Green Goblin is spending time at the warehouse where she and the Mary Janes practiced in her reality, and she brings Mary Jane with her to try to reason with other Gwen.  The Green Goblin sees Mary Jane and almost instantly remembers who she is, which is...weird.  After all, Mary Jane talks about how the Green Goblin had previously seen her:  every time she threw a pumpkin bomb at Mary Jane, she missed.  If so, why didn't she remember who she was all those times that she saw Mary Jane?  The only thing our Gwen does here to help is remove the Green Goblin's mask, but that seems pretty...basic.  At any rate, I have to say I'm overall happy with the way this arc went because the characterization was really strong.  I wouldn't mind returning to this Earth in a future anthology, just to see how everyone is doing.  (That said, Peter doesn't share that hope.  He remarks here that he hopes they don't see Gwen again because he's pretty sure she hates him.)  Now, let's get back to our Mary Jane, shall we?  (I loved when she mentioned Mary Jane is terrifying in any reality.)  It's time to see what Gwen's life is like with "Spider-geddon" in the rear-view mirror.

Star Wars:  Doctor Aphra #27:  I'm making the somewhat difficult decision to stop getting this book with this issue.  It's difficult because I've actually enjoyed this arc more than previous ones.  Aphra is almost human here, and Triple-Zero is a thrill as always.  But, I feel like this series has definitely lost its way.  It just seems to recycle the same scenarios and antagonists, setting up yet another situation where Aphra betrays her companions but not so badly that she's irredeemable.  I could hang in there another four issues to see how the arc ends, but I feel like I already know how it will go.  I've been following Aphra for almost four years, after her debut in "Darth Vader," so it's sad to let her go.  But, why delay the inevitable?  Bye, Aphra.  I hope you survive Triple-Zero to betray another day.

Also Read:  Avengers #11; Fantastic Four:  Wedding Special #1; Infinity Wars:  Sleepwalker #4; Uncanny X-Men #5; X-Men:  Red #11

No comments:

Post a Comment