Monday, February 21, 2022

Year-Old Comics: The Top-Shelf March 3 and 31 (2021) Edition (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Dungeons & Dragons:  At the Spine of the World #4 (March 3):  This issue is awful.  I legitimately have no idea what happens here.  Garcia and Mendez never really explain why Amos is working for Xardorok Sunblight or why Sunblight is so interested in having the duergar conquer Icewind Dale in order to live on the surface.  In other words, we're never told why the series' plot is actually the plot.  Also, after exiling RuRu last issue - "Then go fit it.  But don't bother coming home." - RuRu's sister and tribe suddenly appears here because it turns out they've been following her to make sure she was safe the entire time.  What?  Why not just tell her you'll help her last issue?  I could continue, but it isn't worth your time.  Just learn from my mistakes and save your money.

Dragon Age:  Dark Fortress # 1 (March 31):  Like the other iterations of this mini-series series, this issue collapses under its plot's weight.  Nenelaeus' initial conversation with Danarius "the Lesser" required me to do some Googling to understand what they were discussing.  Their conversation apparently addresses a loose end from "Dragon Age:  Deception," though it's so incredibly minor - Nenelaeus' awareness that Gaius wasn't Master Qintara -- that I didn't remember either character mentioned.  After all, 2 1/2 years elapsed between Gaius' appearance in "Dragon Age:  Deception" #1 and this issue.   I had hoped that re-reading all the preceding mini-series during my confusion of "Dragon Age:  Blue Wraith" would allow me to enjoy this issue, but instead I encountered the same problem that I've had with previous installments, namely the lack of a detailed summary page necessary to enjoy the issue.  I'm hoping that DeFilippis and Weir focus on the story at hand, since the prospect of the team racing to stop Nenelaeus before the Qunarai take over the castle should be exciting.

Also Read:  Star Wars:  The High Republic #3 (March 3), Star Wars #12 (March 10); Star Wars:  Bounty Hunters #10 (March 17) 

No comments:

Post a Comment